The Enterhealth approach to sustainable sobriety is holistic – integrating all components of a healthy lifestyle. This includes powerful tools to help change the emotional, physical, spiritual and nutritional habits that may hinder recovery.
Since addiction can deplete the body’s essential nutrients, diet plays a critical role in rehabilitation. That’s why we address each patient’s unique combination of challenges – including addiction levels, abuse patterns, co-occurring conditions, as well as possible malnutrition issues.
Key nutritional priorities that propel recovery:
- Avoid sweets. Stabilize blood sugar levels, and help reduce mood swings, anxiety and depression. We limit desserts to three meals a week but supplement with yogurt and fruit.
- Increase protein. Amino acids found in lean meats and seafood provide valuable building blocks for the brain’s neurotransmitters – often disrupted by addiction.
- Increase fiber. Fresh fruits and cruciferous vegetables support optimal gastrointestinal health and overall wellbeing.
- Add more healthy fats. Not all fats are bad. As part of a balanced diet, they provide necessary fatty acids, soften your skin, deliver fat-soluble vitamins and enhance your energy.
- Limit refined carbohydrates. Substitute whole grains.
- Reduce processed foods. Liver repair is a critical piece of the sobriety process, and artificial ingredients can inhibit detoxification and healing.
- Limit caffeine. Since caffeine can trigger insomnia and anxiety, often present in the early stages of sobriety, we offer flavored waters full of vitamins and natural sweetness.
Benefits of a High-Fiber Diet:
- Resist cancer
- Ease depression
- Relieve pain
- Strengthen and protect your heart
- Increase disease-fighting antioxidants
- Deter and eliminate dangerous toxins
- Moderate Type II Diabetes and Insulin Resistance (IR)
- Prevent or manage helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) digestive disorders
- Minimize Alzheimer’s disease risk
- Reduce inflammation
Our chef selects the freshest, most wholesome and delicious foods available to maximize nutritional value. However, an occasional off-diet treat has motivational value, as well. We enjoy celebratory “Burger Nights” – and get creative with traditional comfort foods prepared with smarter ingredients. Plus, we are fully equipped to accommodate any special dietary needs.
Practical nutrition is a core component of the Enterhealth continuum-of-care philosophy. We coordinate and customize a complete range of treatment protocols to eliminate drug or alcohol cravings and heal the brain — for a lifetime.
Reviews from Patients and Families