At Enterhealth, our approach to sustainable sobriety treats the whole person. That’s why we address each patient’s unique combination of lifestyle challenges – physical, emotional, spiritual and mental – when preparing their treatment plan.
In addition to personalized fitness training, our comprehensive on-site program includes individual, group and family therapy; supervised medical detox; complete health assessments; medication management, and life skills education.
Our experience has shown that a customized, consistent exercise regime helps accelerate whole-being healing – supporting the durable recovery of brain, body and spirit.
Finding the Fitness Connection
Addiction can change the body and the brain – increasing body fat mass while decreasing lean mass. In addition to affecting energy, focus, mood and metabolism, these changes can heighten a patient’s risk for chronic disease. Regular exercise can help manage chronic conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and obesity. In addition, exercise can help fight depression and anxiety naturally – triggering the release of the body’s endorphins. Exercise these practical tips:
- Enhance energy
- Sharpen clarity & focus
- Improve brain health & memory
- Make weight management easier
- Strengthen bones & muscles
- Improve sleep
- Enrich sense of wellbeing
- Regulate blood sugar
- Add recreational activity options in sobriety
- Frequent Stretching: Stretch before even getting out of bed – legs, arms, shoulders, and chest to help increase overall flexibility and blood flow. Stretch calf and neck muscles periodically throughout the day.
- Cardio Workouts: Aim for 30 - 45 minutes of walking, jogging or riding a bike daily. Do it all at once or break it up into 10-minute segments throughout the day.
- Short-Burst Exercises: Five to 10-minute exercise bursts kickstart metabolism, increase energy and help regulate blood sugar. Try jumping jacks, burpees, squats, push-ups or jumping rope.
- Resistance Training: Lift dumbbells or work with exercise machines and bands to build muscle. Strength training also increases the metabolism to help manage weight and blood sugar.
- Foam Rolling: Relieve tight, sore muscles in the lower and upper body with foam-rolling techniques. Maintain flexibility and prevent injury, as well.
- Core Work: Use crunches, planks, back extensions and hip bridges to build a strong core, which is essential to proper posture, limb strength and greater stability.
Strengthening Body and Brain
Physical fitness is a core component of the Enterhealth continuum-of-care philosophy. We coordinate and customize a complete range of treatment protocols to heal the brain and body — for a lifetime. Unique features include:
- Fully Equipped Exercise Facility Supporting every level of physical fitness, we offer a full range of free weights, cardio equipment, bands, weight machines, foam rollers and mats.
- Lovely, Landscaped Ranch Environment Our peaceful, secluded setting in pastoral Van Alstyne, Texas offers numerous paths and tree-canopied clearings to enhance the patient’s daily walking experience.
- Crystal-Clear Swimming Pool Enjoy low-impact exercise, lap swimming or water aerobics in a resort-inspired pool – surrounded by the rustic beauty of our natural ranch setting.
- Weekly Wellness Hour We help fully integrate healthy lifestyle habits through guided group wellness sessions that empower and motivate the patient on his or her path to optimal wellbeing.
Enterhealth is your dedicated partner on your path to health. Take the first step today. Call: 800.388.4601